Galangal is ginger on steroids. Stockier than its rootstalk relations It is a star ingredient in Thai cookery where it is named kha and is used in soups, stir-frys and curry pastes. In taste and aroma, it has a wonderfully clean flavor and fresh piney scent that are as pungent as ginger’s own spicy notes.
Besides being a rich source of iron, sodium, vitamins A and C, it also contains flavanoids and phytonutrients. This tuber is known to have numerous medicinal and health benefits. And is used by many homeopaths and healthcare professionals. Here are some of their health benefits:
- Galangal contains anti-inflammatory properties and therefore is beneficial in treatment of arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- It also helps to relieve discomfort caused due to inflammation of the abdomen and ulcers too.
- To curb sea and motion sickness, nausea, chew a few slices of fresh galangal.
- Galangal contains a host of anti-oxidants that helps to minimise the damage caused by free radicals and other toxins in the body.
- To improve blood circulation in the body, include galangal in your diet.
- If you suffer form diarrhoea, chew a few slices of fresh galangal to seek relief.
- Besides being a rich source of iron, sodium, vitamins A and C, it contains flavanoids and phytonutrients.